Friday, November 30, 2012

Reality


One of the questions that many philosophers have been questioning about since ages (though some philosophers don’t do it now) is, “what is Real?” I feel this question is valid even today; precisely because it’s an extremely important question. The problem is we often don’t think of such simple yet profound questions of life. The issue of reality is, ‘who has the right to claim what is real?’ The point to be noted here is: what I think, believe and “know” to be real many not be Real because there will be another person who will have completely opposite view on the same issue and he too might believe it and “know” it to be real. So then, what exactly is Reality? One thing needs to be noted here, my “knowing” of the reality to be Real or other person’s “knowing” of real to be Real does not in any way affect the Reality; Reality remains Real, irrespective of my affirming it. One of the reasons of the possibility of these three possibilities of knowing the Real is precisely the consequence of our historicity. By the way we cannot get out of our historicity. Thus, to have the inkling of the Real we need humility; a realization that I may not be able to “know” or grasp the Real. This also means that unless the Real reveals “Itself” to me I may not have the inkling of Real. The Real requires of me a humility without which I live in unreality or blindness; which is not a state of perfection; not a state to which I am called to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment