Friday, November 30, 2012

I am vulnerable are You/not?


Today people do not want to speak of vulnerability, mercy, forgiveness and defeat rather about power, self-confidence, victory etc., to day we live in a world that does not want to admit the truth or live in “genuinity.” However, not speaking about these do not improve the situation in any way. The facts of life remain the same. I don’t know if you believe yourself to be vulnerable, but in my case, when I sit back and reflect over my life I arrive at a conviction that ‘I am vulnerable.’ This realization does not lead me to despair rather, it is how I find myself; it is the fact of life. Therefore, it is part of ‘me,’ being human. This realization helps me to be more human, to be more humble, to be more understanding and kind; which are but human (or also divine) qualities. It just helps me really to be ‘me.’ The spiritual qualities we find in humans are all founded on vulnerability. Let us consider love, and hope. In the experience of love and hope we are not sure whether the other will respond to us. In hoping for something (obviously something good) we are not sure if our hope will be fulfilled. Even in the commitment of marriage (a commitment of love) the bond is built on vulnerability. The longevity and the quality of fidelity cannot be guaranteed. Thus, for me I won’t mind to claim that to be is to be vulnerable. Remember, Jesus knowingly, willingly and out of gratuitous love for humankind made himself vulnerable to redeem vulnerable humanity through being vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment