Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The question on TRUTH


TRUTH
Truth
One of the common questions that philosophers ask is what is truth? Many people have defined truth in very many ways. As for my limited understanding, truth is something that which is what it is. I believe there is no better way to describe truth than to define it this way.[1]
Possibility of Attaining the Truth
Now the problem here would be is it possible to attain this truth? I would say, it depends, because there are truths that are concerned about simple/ordinary facts of life and questions of truths that are concerned with more complicated issues. But I am of the opinion that it is a possibility and this effort or a journey is worth undertaking. I would say that it would be a meaningful journey. From the point of view of Phenomenology the very fact that we are able to say that something is not right, that something needs to be changed and something is not ok shows the possibility of  truth and objectivity. However all these are only indications to truth. Whether we can attain them objectively is a very difficult question to answer. If there was no truth we would not be able even to assert- I am standing here.
Consensus and its Relation to Truth
Consensus is a half way towards truth. Consensus taken on a positive light could be considered as a path to truth; it is a temporary attainment of a certain sort of truth. But it is certainly not a full truth. However I am tempted to say that most people are satisfied with consensus or rather function with the help of consensus.



[1] Here I would like to note that the very fact that I feel there is no better way of defining truth than (truth is something that which is what it is.) is an indication towards truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment